Thursday, January 1, 2009

A New Year...

I love New Year's Day...I love the chance to start fresh and work on things that I might not have gotten 100% right the year before. I'm looking forward to new events, new friends and the new experiences that come with the new year. 

In 2009, I'm looking forward to a new president, planning our re-wedding {How HATES this word, but I love it!} and watching our daughter grow from a preschooler to a Kindergartner! I'm excited about seeing my husband's practice grow and even if it means he's busier {that isn't possible!}, I can't wait for him to take on more responsibility as a more Sr. partner. There's something about watching the people you love do the things that they love and are great at, isn't there? It's amazing what you'll sacrifice for that! 

I'm excited about getting in shape and starting to live an all-around healthier life as a family. We love veggies and all sorts of healthy stuff, but we also take the "easy" way out too much with eating out and prepared foods. So, this year we'll kill three birds with one stone... eat healthier, spend family time together and save money by cooking and eating at home! I love to multi-task.

This year I'm going to be the best role model for Lil that I can be. When I'm tired or rundown, I'm might not share that with Lil, because even at 4, she worries and she picks it up and she's been known to tell her teachers she's "tired and stressed". LOL. I also vow to be more patient! I am not exactly known for my patience with anybody and especially Lil, so I'm going to try extra hard this year. 

Finally, I'm looking forward to scaling back spending and saving money. I'm almost glad to see the reminders on the front page of every paper I read about the recession, because it's helping me remember to be responsible with my spending. I'm so not usually, but this year I'm really trying to see the "big picture" and save for the things {re-wedding, anyone?} we want to do. I want to save over the next 18 months, so that we don't have to go without that June to finish up all the payments. Also, I'll be honest and say it wouldn't kill me to just learn to spend less money...it just seems to fly out of my wallet and I never seem to have anything good to show for it. We made great strides last year in our money management and I hope to continue that trend in 2009. 

Anyway...I've rambled long enough! Off to watch the Rose Parade! 

What do you want to do better this year?

2 comments:

Courtney said...

I love this post and I, too, would love to work on my patience. Something I can ALWAYS work on, for sure :) I'm an instant gratification person and I find myself needing to slow down a lot in life.

Hoping 2009 is so very good to you!

Courtney said...

Happy New Year, Kate! Thanks for sharing these goals- they are all wonderful ones!

I want to be better at balance this year, including making more time for both the things I love and the things I hate (oh how I will put off housework since I just don't much enjoy vacuuming, mopping, dusting, and the like!)